Royal Canadian Mounted Police

Overview from Wikipedia

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) (French: Gendarmerie royale du Canada (GRC), literally ‘Royal Gendarmerie of Canada’; colloquially known as Mounties, and internally as ‘The Force’) is the national police force of Canada, and one of the most recognized of its kind in the world. It is unique in the world as a national, federal, provincial and municipal policing body. The RCMP provides federal policing service to all of Canada and policing services under contract to the three territories, eight provinces (the RCMP does not serve as provincial or municipal police in Ontario and Quebec), more than 190 municipalities, 184 Aboriginal communities and three international airports.

The RCMP was formed in 1920 by the merger of the ...

Sun Articles(...)

Photos

Pickton's rights breached six times
    Langley police shooting victim identified as 22-year-old man

Photos: Images of the migrants who spent months at sea
    Smugglers and terrorists aboard Tamil ship chose Canada: Toews
    Tamils end months-long sea voyage under terrorism suspicion

Photos: Images of the migrants who spent months at sea

Surrey RCMP officer being investigated for possession of pot, firearms
    Mountie - stabbed by suspect in North Vancouver - still made arrest despite injuries

B.C.'s top Mountie sees no problem with patchwork policing

Blog & Opinion

Today's letters: The rats return to Haiti

Jan 19, 2011, 08:39:16 ET

HECTOR RETAMAL / AFP / Getty Images. Armed guards ride with Jean-Claude Duvalier in his limousine on a surprise visit to Haiti on Sunday.. . Re:...

Man trapped in Sask. mine for almost 10 hours

Jan 19, 2011, 08:36:31 ET

LA RONGE, Sask. — Emergency crews rescued a man who was trapped underground at a northern Saskatchewan mining site for nearly 10 hours on Tuesday...

Peter Kuitenbrouwer: A city in mourning

Jan 18, 2011, 08:41:04 PM ET

The tears in Hall D began the moment that Christine Russell entered with her two-year-old son, Nolan, holding her hand — both mother and son...

Why I love my job!

Jan 18, 2011, 07:07:27 PM ET

Every time I think of all the bad things that have happened to me in my journalism career, I have to slap myself because so many good things have...

Articles From Around The Web

Police probes claims of locals training with al-Qaeda

Jan 15, 2011, 11:25:26 PM ET

National police are investigating claims that a dozen Canadians have received Al-Qaeda training aimed at carrying out attacks in Canadian cities,...

RCMP?respond to two moose related accidents

Jan 19, 2011, 10:54:41 ET

The RCMP say officers responded to two moose related collisions around the same time yesterday evening.. . Around 5:45 Tuesday, a vehicle heading...

RCMP investigating vehicle-tractor...

Jan 19, 2011, 07:51:36 ET

Police responded to the collision at approximately 6 p.m., where a northbound vehicle traveling on the Union Road collided with a farm tractor...

Escaped inmate found 16 years later in parents' home

Jan 14, 2011, 01:25:42 ET

A US fugitive who walked away from a South Dakota prison 16 years ago has been found living a secret family life on a Canadian aboriginal reserve...

Mountie charged with taking loose change

Jan 19, 2011, 07:40:01 PM ET

A Mountie in Burnaby, B.C., has been charged with theft for allegedly taking loose change from a desk drawer in a community policing office.. . The...

Score on over $12,000 in prizes! Register today. »

Are you ready for the Holidays? Take our quiz to see how prepared you are »